Thursday, February 4, 2010

Write Now, Write On

As I sit here, looking at a manuscript that has sat on the verge of completion for five years....yes FIVE, I realize that if I don't write now, I never will.  I've been waiting for the 'write' time, the 'write' place, the 'write' circumstances.  Well, as Nora says, "You can't edit a blank page." And there will never be a 'write' time. Now IS the time.

It is a book I began about 6 years ago, one I'd written with a now extinct series romance line in mind. Then one day, my computer crashed, I hadn't backed up my work, and all I had left was 270 printed pages. Of a rough draft. With one chapter left to write.  Between the crash of the hard drive, going through a divorce and  being a newly single mom of  4, 6, and 12 year old children, I gave up.  I lovingly tucked the manuscript in a folder and hid it away.... until recently.

Now I am pecking away at the keyboard, retyping the entire manuscript, and resisting the urge to edit as I go. I'm afraid that if I allow myself to start editing, I'll never finish reytping and the story will be lost forever. So here I sit, surrounded by a bunch of loose papers, pecking away, and looking at it with fresh eyes.  Boy do I have alot of work ahead of me. The first draft of a first novel! I'd learned so much from my beloved writer's group during the writing of the first draft. I thought I'd forgotten what I'd learned...until I started typing.

I find myself shuddering every other paragraph, a something so glaringly wrong, it jumps off the page at me. And yet, I trudge on, resisting the urge to edit. Instead I console myself with the knowledge that when process is complete, I will most likely reinvision every scene on every page anyway.  As it is, there is already an idea for a new chapter, and several I will probably cut all together.  The important thing is that I keep writing. Write Now! Right On!

6 comments:

  1. You can do it, amy! Hang tight and just keep pressing forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Kristina! And here I thought I was talking to myself in cyberspace lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you, Amy, for not giving up even after being through such tough times! We'll all be glad to read it at Critique_Me. :) I'm re-writing my first chapter for the Daphne again myself. I also started this book about 5 years ago and put it aside while we moved 3 times across country with the military. It's still a good story and I hope I can finish it - race you? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a year, I am returning and trying again. I think this is the time, and I know I will succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found you today. You can do it. I was really intrigued by your war 0f 2012 story. I also have several old stories that I only have printed copies of because they are on floppy disk. (yes it has been years since I tried to write) Good luck, you have a great voice.

    ReplyDelete